Monday, December 7, 2009

G-d got me into a car accident.

I couldn't think of a clever title, but really I did get into a minor fender bender coming home from Shabbat last Friday.

But besides that I had a meeting with Maggie, the interfaith/outreach counselor at CRC(Central Reform Congregation), to talk about my conversion. She was really easy to talk to, she has one of those voices that instantly makes you feel as if you have known her for ages, so it was very easy to talk about these things that are very personal.

We talked about who I was and I believe her actual question was, "Why Judaism?". So I went on to explain how I came to find Judaism, and why I feel that CRC is where I need and want to be. She then went over the process of converting, which will take a year maybe more. She explained that it takes a year because through the year and all the holidays is the Jewish story, and through really experiencing that story I will be able to make a truly informed decision.

And as if I wasn't in school enough, I have to take a 16 week Intro to Judaism class as well as a Beginning Hebrew Class. I have already been attending services regularly, but I will begin attending a Torah study group this Friday. She also gave me a list of books to read, so I will try and get some of those soon.

It is going to be a lot of work, but I am anxious to start this journey.

Sorry no pictures of food this time.

1 comment:

  1. Hey buddy. Just wanted to wish you a safe trip to Grandma Bs house. I've got everything ready (meds, car, cash, etc.) so I can head out there if Aunt Lisa needs help. Good thing I'm a super CNA, I feel like at least I have something to offer at a time when one feels so powerless. If you see that she needs help, but doesn't want to ask for it (you know how those tough Irish broads are) please let me know and I'll be on my way. Love you, Heather

    ReplyDelete