Thursday, December 3, 2009

Challah at ya Goy!

Chanukkah is only about a week away! So, since I don't know any other Jews here in town too well, I have invited a few people over to my house next Saturday for Latkes and other Jew foods. In preparation for what certinely may have been a disaster, I decided to do a test run of my Challah making skills. Challah is a yeast bread that is braided, and brushed with egg to give it a crispy outer shell. Oh, and it has a ton of honey baked into it.

Challah is eaten on Shabbat and holidays, and is a double loaf that represents the two portions of manna that would fall from the heavens on the Israelites as they wandered the desert for forty years after the Exodus. Manna did not fall on the sabbath or holidays; so a double portion was given.

There's your Jewish history for the day. And now back to the purpose of this blog, miraculously I made two damn near perfect loaves of challah (thank you YouTube). I don't know how it happened, but it did. We will just have to see if I can reproduce this a week from now. The quality of my cooking seems to stick to a day to day basis, and usually either on the side of awesome or terrible. So we will see, until next time, Shalom.



3 comments:

  1. It sounds like you've found where you belong... in my kitchen, makin' that Challah!
    I'm so happy for you, buddy. Love, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I'm going to say is "Presenation". Well, that and maybe, "Try putting the Challah in a nice wicker basket with some linen lining next time". :) If someone hasn't seen a Challa before........

    ReplyDelete